Reading time: two minutes.
Grace Place Wellness is essentially a preventive wellness ministry. Our intention is that church
workers would serve long, vibrant careers in ministry and that no one would ever leave a life of ministry because of stress-related illness, burnout, relational, emotional or spiritual issues. Our mission is “to nurture vitality and joy in ministry by inspiring and equipping church workers to lead healthy lives.”
Some of this preventive wellness stuff is simple: GET YOUR COLON CHECKED! Okay, there’s a little more to it than that, but read on for my top ten health screenings to take care of with a short comment on each.Here’s my top ten…
- Colon. I recently heard of a man in his 60’s who fell in love with a nurse. She refused to marry him until he had a colonoscopy. They found out days before the wedding that he had colon cancer that would have been easily detected and removed years earlier if he had only been screened. For folks over 50 (earlier with family history) a colonoscopy is not at all as bad as it sounds and prevents thousands of deaths every year.
- Eye. Have a qualified professional check you for glaucoma and a host of other very treatable ailments of the eye at least every couple of years. Treasure your eyesight!
- Hearing. It’s so important for those of us who work with people to not become that person who misses conversations. “Huh?” is not a good lifestyle for church workers!
- Dental. You don’t want your grand kids to say, “Nice, tooth, Grandpa!”
- Skin. Most of us got too much sun as youngsters. Some skin cancers are very dangerous. Your primary should look you over and refer you to a dermatologist if needed. Family history is important. Personal experience here!
- Heart. My doctor took a baseline EKG at 60 just so he can keep an eye on me.
- Breast. I do hope that by now all women are diligent about self-exams and aware of the recommendations for mammograms. Think Pink!
- Cholesterol and sugar. Most health plans have provisions for annual blood test screenings with your physical. Concordia Plans provides excellent coverage for preventive wellness. Everyone, even young people, should know their cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Elevated blood sugar levels are tremendously destructive to our organs and circulatory system. Catch it early for easiest treatment plans.
- Prostate. Guys, don’t be shy. Find a doctor with skinny fingers if you have to. Regular exam and blood test are important in early diagnosis of a treatable cancer. This is nasty stuff, so get after it.
- Feet. Seriously! Foot problems plague thousands of people, especially those with circulatory issues like diabetes. I love my new orthotic shoe inserts!
Check with your doctor for a more complete list, but please take this matter seriously. We love you and need you to live a long and vibrant life of service in the Lord’s kingdom.
Have a healthy and happy summer… and wear a hat!
Thanks for reading!
Do you serve on a professional church worker conference planning committee? Our staff has vast experience leading groups of all sizes from every church work background through innovative wellness programs custom designed to meet your needs. Contact Program Director Darrell Zimmerman today to begin exploring the possibilities or visit our website to see some of our ideas for your conference!